As the medal count for the United States climbs at the 2012 summer games, so does the tax bill for the medal winners. They will have to pay taxes on their prize money. The money is considered taxable by the Internal Revenue Service. The value of the medals could also be subject to tax. According to experts at Liberty Tax Service “This could add up to a sizeable amount. If calculated at the highest rate of 35 percent a gold medal recipient could owe close to $9,000 in taxes. The value of the medal could be taxed as well.”
The infographic created by Liberty Tax Service illuminates some interesting statistics about taxes on Olympic prize earnings.
About Liberty Tax Service
Liberty Tax Service is the fastest-growing retail tax preparation company in the industry’s history. The Company has over 4100 offices in the United States and Canada, with the majority owned by franchisees.The Class A Common stock of JTH Holding, Inc. (NASDAQ:TAX), the parent company of Liberty Tax Service is traded on the NASDAQ Global Market. Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50371195&lang=en
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV