Equipment sales increased $8.2 million or 70.3% for the second quarter of 2012 compared to 2011's second quarter primarily due to higher revenue recognition from ballast water treatment Systems.
Consumer sales increased slightly by approximately $68,000 or 3.2% for the second quarter of 2012 compared to 2011's second quarter as a result of higher demand for activated carbon cloth products.
Consolidated gross profit before depreciation and amortization as a percent of net sales was 31% in the second quarter of 2012 compared to 32.8% in the second quarter of 2011, a decrease of 1.8 percentage points. The decline was primarily in the activated carbon and service segment as a result of higher coal and plant maintenance costs.
Depreciation and amortization expense was $6.4 million in the second quarter of 2012 compared to $5.7 million in the second quarter of 2011. The increase of $700,000 or 12.3% is primarily the result of additional depreciation related to capital improvements made at the company's Feluy, Belgium and Catlettsburg, Kentucky facilities.Selling, administrative and research expenses were $23.1 million during the second quarter of 2012 versus $22.5 million in 2011, an increase of $600,000 or 2.7%. This increase was primarily related an increase in advance product testing costs related both to mercury removal from flu gas and the use of activated carbon in ultra capacitors. As a percent of sales, these expenses were 15.6% in the second quarter of 2012 as compared to 16.6% for the second quarter of 2011, a 1 percentage point improvement, as well as a 1.9% point improvement over the first quarter of 2012 which was 17.5%.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV