One more name that Greenlight added onto in the last quarter is DST Systems (DST). DST is a mid-cap technology stock whose main business is providing portfolio accounting services to mutual funds -- that niche operation makes up more than two-thirds of DST's total sales. The firm also provides printing and mailing services for the telecom and healthcare industries.
By taking care of back-office functions for scores of mutual funds, DST reduces clients' costs, particularly at smaller funds or fund families that don't have the benefits of paying for in-house back-office staff. And because DST's services are so nuanced, customer stickiness is extremely high; funds can't switch providers or move their back-office work in-house without incurring massive headaches. For that reason, DST owns close to half of the outsourced back-office market in the mutual fund world.The firm also owns a portfolio of various and sundry assets, ranging from real estate to private equity holdings. While that positioning makes DST less of a pure-play service firm, it also gives the company access to liquidity that it can raise without selling off important parts of its business. Greenlight picked up 442,000 shares of DST in the last quarter, bringing Einhorn's stake in the firm to $85 million. To see the rest of David Einhorn's plays, including a complete list of which stocks he added or sold off, check out the Greenlight Capital Portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV