As great as the quarter was, it didn't appear to add much life to the stock. So now the question is, to what extent can Microsoft's (MSFT) highly anticipated Windows 8 launch remain as a catalyst for Intel? What's more, investors have been eager to play the PC product life cycle refresh ahead of the launch. It would seem that with Intel having an 80% share of the PC market, this would be a tremendous revenue boost.
Whether these expectations come to fruition is not the story. The issue continues to be how to fairly assess the company's current state and where it is likely heading. It does not appear as if the market is expecting a whole lot from Intel and instead has turned its attention to the aforementioned new chips on the block -- namely ARM Holdings, Qualcomm and Nvidia.
What Intel needs is more time -- which seems to be the prevailing theme for once high fliers who are still valuable but have been unable to provide Wall Street with the growth that it craves. I think Intel will eventually re-capture its magic and prove that is can continue to increase its margins and outperform its rivals.
From an investment perspective, the stock is trading under its fair market value, which I have estimated to be right around $32. For value investors with patience, the stock should be considered a buy at these levels.Follow @rsaintvilus At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV