NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Mobile payments goes mainstream. Starbucks (SBUX ) and mobile payments platform Square have signed a deal to bring the mobile payments platform to Starbucks' 7,000 locations, a landmark deal in the new era of mobile spending by consumers.
The deal also brings $25 million to the startup (founded by Twitter's Jack Dorsey) in a series D financing. Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is joining Square's board, according to TheStreet.
2. Thinking about franchising your business? Learn what goes into developing a franchise agreement at this year's West Coast Franchise Expo, to be held Oct. 12-14 in Anaheim, Calif.Besides finding hundreds of franchising opportunities with investment levels of $5,000 to $5 million, the seminar on franchise agreements is one of several sessions for attendees. 3. Technology to help your startup. Tech expert Jonathan Blum offers Entrepreneur readers several options for technology that won't exhaust the startup's budget. Typically, the more features a device has, the more expensive it is to purchase, maintain and train employees on. A new business owner may be better off with a tech solution that does one or two things well instead of a more complicated product, Blum says. He offers seven easy-to-use tools for startup, including the HP Omni 220-1125, a ready-to-use desktop computer; the Motorola Xoom 2, a basic tablet device; and virtual assistant, LongerDays.com. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV