Columbia Laboratories, Inc. (Nasdaq: CBRX) today reported financial results for the three- and six- month periods ended June 30, 2012. Highlights of the second quarter include:
- Net product revenues were $7.4 million in the second quarter of 2012, compared to $4.9 million in the second quarter of 2011, due to higher sales to Merck Serono S.A. (“Merck Serono”) and Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (“Watson”).
- Gross profit on net product revenues remained the same at 39% compared with the second quarter of 2011.
- Operating income was $1.7 million in the second quarter of 2012 as operating expenses were down 31% from prior year levels.
- Net income was $1.9 million, or $0.02 per basic and diluted share.
- Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments were $23.0 million at June 30, 2012, up slightly from the immediately preceding quarter.
“We are pleased to report positive operating cash flow for the second quarter of 2012, in line with our stated expectations,” said Frank Condella, Columbia's President and CEO. “Our second quarter results reflect our streamlined operations as well as increases in net product revenues and royalties thanks to our partners, Watson and Merck Serono, who continue to generate strong in-market demand for CRINONE.
“We are encouraged that Watson continues to pursue a path to approval for progesterone vaginal gel for prevention of preterm birth. Meanwhile, we continue to explore strategic options with Cowen and Company to add additional long-term value for our stockholders,” Condella concluded.
Second Quarter Financial ResultsTotal net revenues for the second quarter of 2012 were comprised of net product revenues primarily for domestic and international sales of CRINONE ® (progesterone gel) to Watson and Merck Serono, respectively, and royalties from Watson. In the second quarter of 2011, total net revenues also included sales of STRIANT ® (testosterone buccal system), the amortization of deferred revenue recognized from the sale of assets to Watson, and a milestone payment from Watson for the acceptance of the preterm birth New Drug Application (“NDA”) for filing by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”). Total net revenues for the second quarter of 2012 were $8.2 million, compared to $19.2 million for the second quarter of 2011. The decrease in total net revenues was driven primarily by the recognition of $8.6 million in revenue related to the gain on the sale of the progesterone assets to Watson in July 2010 and the $5.0 million milestone payment from Watson for the acceptance of the NDA filing in the 2011 second quarter, offset in part by a $2.4 million increase in net product revenues and, to a lesser extent, higher royalty revenues.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV