Bank of America has been locked in a legal battle with bond insurer MBIA (MBI) over real-estate-backed bonds. MBIA wants Bank of America to buy back several billion dollars' worth of the bonds. Berkowitz, who has also invested in MBIA, expresses confidence in management assurances that it will recoup a substantial portion of payments it has made on those bonds. However, he does not directly address the dispute between MBIA and Bank of America.
Notwithstanding the legal fight between Bank of America and MBIA, betting on both companies isn't as odd as it might appear. Analysts have been predicting MBIA and Bank of America will settle the case for $2 billion -- an amount that would not greatly harm Bank of America but would, according to BTIG analyst Mark Palmer, likely cause a significant rally in MBIA shares.
Berkowitz does not explain the Berkshire Hathaway sale in his shareholder letter. At the end of February, Fairholme's largest fund held 2,532 class A shares worth nearly $300 million.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.Follow me on Twitter
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV