NEW YORK ( ETF Expert) -- According to the U.S. Census Bureau and a variety of institutions that study human population growth, the world will need to feed roughly 70 million new mouths every year. That is the current "net" projection when births are offset by deaths.
Pundits from Marc Faber to Jim Rogers have talked about the demographic changes. Their solution? Invest in agriculture. Faber tends to talk more about investing directly in farmland as a hedge against social unrest. Rogers tends to discuss the benefits of owning all commodities, though often raises awareness about the benefits of farmland and the agricultural grains produced there.
Yet, prior to this year's epic summer drought, agricultural commodities had not been kind to exchange-traded enthusiasts. In fact, owning PowerShares DB Agriculture (DBA) seemed like an exercise in futility.
There have been scores of reasons provided for the investing losses, including the recession in Europe and the slowdown in China. Many more folks point to the fact that commodities are priced in U.S. dollars and that the dollar's strength has added to commodity price depreciation. On the other hand, with extreme heat and limited rainfall since June, agriculture commodity ETFs have pole-vaulted over key trendlines. The current price of DBA is well above a 50-day and 200-day moving average. The question that ETF investors need to ask themselves at this point is whether or not the bad news on crop output has been accounted for in the current prices. Exchange-traded notes and funds for soybeans, wheat and corn have been on a remarkable upswing, yet it is rare of any investment to be
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV