Otelco Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results
Otelco Inc. (NASDAQ: OTT) (TSX: OTT.un), a wireline telecommunications services provider in Alabama, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia, today announced results for its second quarter ended June 30, 2012. Key highlights for Otelco include:
- Total revenues of $24.7 million for second quarter 2012.
- Operating loss of $148.1 million, reflecting the impact of $144.0 million in goodwill impairment and $8.6 million in physical and intangible asset impairment (as explained below).
- Adjusted EBITDA (as defined below) of $10.8 million for second quarter 2012.
“Second quarter results produced Adjusted EBITDA of $10.8 million, which represented a 6% decrease over the first quarter of 2012,” said Mike Weaver, President and Chief Executive Officer of Otelco. “Our results were negatively impacted by approximately $0.5 million of non-recurring expenses, including termination pay associated with organization re-engineering implemented in June. The Adjusted EBITDA results represent a small operational improvement for the quarter, given that first quarter includes the annual CoBank dividend of $0.3 million. Our cash balance, adjusted to reflect the payment of second quarter interest on our IDS debt on July 2, 2012, increased by $3.5 million to $19.5 million. We continued a moderate pace of $1.2 million of capital improvements in the business.
“As we look forward to the remainder of this year and beyond, our results will be negatively impacted by the FCC’s Inter-Carrier reforms and the previously announced expiration of the Time Warner Cable contract,” Weaver continued. “The FCC reforms, which affect both our RLEC and CLEC operations, have various implementation dates and there remains a great deal of uncertainty and confusion surrounding some aspects of the order. In addition, numerous groups have challenged the FCC order and the appeals process could result in additional changes and modifications to the existing order. One aspect of the FCC’s order that materially impacts our operations took effect on July 1, 2012. The order requires that intrastate access rates be lowered to the applicable federal access rates over the next three years and then move rapidly to a ‘bill and keep’ – no inter-carrier payment – basis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV