Standard Chartered said that it "ceased all new business with Iranian customers in any currency over five years ago," and that because "resolution of such matters normally proceeds through a co-ordinated approach" by the regulatory agencies, it was "therefore surprised to receive the order from the DFS."
The bank was ordered to appear on August 15 before New York Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to "demonstrate why SCB's license to operate in the State of New York should not be revoked," and Standard Chartered said it would "discuss these matters with the DFS and to contest their position."
Trading for shares of Knight Capital Group (KCG) settled down after several days of extreme volatility, with the shares pulling back by a penny to close at $3.06, after the Jersey City, N.J., market maker and facilitator of electronic transactions announced on Monday that a group of investors -- including Jefferies Group (JEF), Blackstone (BX), Getco, Stephens, Stifel Financial (SF) and TD Ameritrade (AMTD) -- had agreed to recapitalize the company by purchasing $400 million in preferred shares, "convertible into approximately 267 million shares of common stock of the Company," at a strike price of $1.50.
The recapitalization is likely to result in the investor group taking control of 70% of Knight Capital Group's shares.KBW analyst Niamh Alexander late on Monday downgraded Knight Capital to an "Underperform" rating from a "Market Perform" rating, while lowering her price target for the shares to $2.50 from $4.00, while estimating a revised tangible book value of $3.44 per share. Alexander said the lower price target was based on "75% of the revised estimated
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV