Another area of concern is that Groupon's potential rivals have other revenue streams aside from the deals business. These include advertising, hardware, software, search, Web content and a host of other services.
Groupon has to make its business work and can't skip a beat, where a Google or Amazon can leverage other areas of their business to offset any potential deal drawback. If nothing else, they could just steal Groupon's traffic for their advertising-supported initiative.
These are just a few concerns that investors have had over the past couple of quarters. And we have yet to even address the "less than stellar" track record of the company's founder Eric Lefkofsky. In fact, some have even suggested a "spotty history" as described by investorplace.com -- a history that includes accusations of racketeering (later withdrawn), as noted in a Fortune article, plus bankruptcies, lawsuits and accusations of "creative accounting" from previous businesses under his supervision.
When you put these dynamics together, it is hard to muster up any confidence in the framework of Groupon. As investors continue to separate themselves from the stock, at this rate it will be a surprise if Groupon is still around by this time next year absent some significant fundamental changes.Follow @rsaintvilus At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV