In addition, during this call, we'll be discussing certain financial measures that do not conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the U.S. or better known as GAAP. For a reconciliation of these financial metrics to GAAP, please access NII's Investor Relations link at nii.com.
I would now like to introduce Steve Dussek, our CEO. Steve?
Thank you, Tim. Good morning and thank you for joining our call today. During the second quarter, we continued to move forward with the deployment of our 3G networks, while addressing a number of near-term operational challenges. Gokul will give you details of our operating performance in a moment. But before I hand it over to him, I want to give you my thoughts on our results for the quarter and more insight into our direction for the future.First, looking at our 3G efforts, we successfully launched our first 3G push-to-talk service offering in Peru, and are pleased with the initial subscriber acceptance of the service. Since our launch in May, we've added 44,000 new 3G subscribers, bringing our total 3G subscribe base in Peru to 109,000 at quarter end.Our first smartphone has been well received and represented a significant portion of our 3G gross adds in Peru during the quarter. We are also encouraged to see the average loading ARPU of our new 3G customers is higher than the ARPU of our traditional customers. We believe the stage is set for more growth on the 3G network over the balance of the year.In Chile, we launched 3G voice and data services in May and began offering push-to-talk services on our network last week. We are pleased with our early results adding 34,000 3G customers in the quarter.In Mexico, we remain on schedule for the launch of 3G services late next month and in Brazil, we remain on track to begin offering 3G services by year-end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV