NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The schizophrenic summer continues.
The major U.S. equity indices are all now up in three straight sessions, while last week began with four down days. The overall trend since early June is positive, of course, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq back at their early May levels and within shouting distance of their peaks for 2012, but investors looking for substantial upside from here may risk getting greedy.
The analysts over at Bank of America Merrill Lynch have been arguing for a while now that the mega caps will outperform in the hot weather months and that call has been born out but the firm does see some question marks lurking in the technicals.
"This rally could be on stilts," the firm said Tuesday. "Bearish divergences also known as negative divergences are popping up all over in terms of price momentum, breadth, volume and in leadership indices failing to breakout (R2000
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV