The Norwalk, CT.-based online travel company generates a significant portion of its revenue from Europe, which could not only affect earnings, but third-quarter guidance as well, says Piper Jaffray analyst Michael Olsen.
Olsen is expecting priceline to report upside to earnings for the second quarter, but expects conservative domestic and international bookings guidance for the third quarter. "Additionally, Q3 EPS guidance will likely be below consensus (Street currently at $12.95) due to the rapid depreciation in the USD:EUR FX during July, but we expect investors will focus on FX neutral bookings growth," Olsen wrote in his report. He rates priceline "overweight" with a $811 price target.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect priceline to earn $7.36 per share on $1.35 billion in revenue for the second quarter.Even with troubles in Europe, though, priceline is expected to show strong growth, thanks to the boom in online travel and consumers being more cost-conscious than ever. That sentiment has shown up in the company's shares, which have gained 44.3% year-to-date, far outpacing the 15.33% return in the Nasdaq, as well as the S&P 500. PCLN data by YCharts
"We expect strong 2Q results given favorable travel industry dynamics and solid performance by Expedia and hotels overall," wrote JPMorgan analyst Doug Anmuth in a research report. "We expect Priceline to be the biggest beneficiary of stable/rising ADRs in Europe, despite ongoing macro concerns in the region." Anmuth lists priceline as one of his two top Internet stocks for 2012, based on Booking.com's continued gains in Europe. Amazon.com (AMZN) is the other top Internet stock. He rates priceline "overweight" with a $770 price target. Anmuth also cited strong second-quarter results from Expedia (EXPE) as reason for his optimism. "Marriott, Starwood, and Hyatt reported solid global RevPAR
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV