ADA-ES, Inc. (NASDAQ:ADES) (“ADA”) today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
OVERVIEW OF 2012 SECOND QUARTER RESULTS
- Total revenues increased to $52.5 million from $7.0 million in the second quarter of 2011, primarily due to the operations at 7 Refined Coal (“RC”) facilities and RC sales from the 4 facilities operated for our own account.
- Gross margin was $7.4 million, or 14% of revenues, compared to $5.2 million, or 74% of revenues for the same period in 2011, due to the impact of RC coal sales and raw coal purchases in the 2012 second quarter. Excluding the impact of RC coal sales and raw coal purchases from the 4 RC facilities operated for our own account, gross margin in the second quarter of 2012 was 81%.
- Operating income was $1.6 million, compared to an operating loss of $2.3 million for the second quarter of 2011.
- Pre-tax income from continuing operations improved to $0.9 million from a loss of $2.5 million in the second quarter of 2011.
- Net loss was $2.6 million, or $0.26 per diluted share, and included:
- $0.9 million in interest expense and royalty payments
- $1.3 million in income tax expense based on the estimated effective income tax rate for 2012
- $2.2 million deduction for non-controlling interests
- Clean Coal Solutions, LLC (“Clean Coal”) generated $7.5 million in tax credits from the operations of four RC facilities.
- Cash and cash equivalents were $23.1 million at June 30, 2012.
OVERVIEW OF SEGMENTS & OUTLOOK
Dr. Michael D. Durham, President and CEO of ADA, stated, “We are very pleased to report a significant increase in revenues, operating profit, and income before tax and non-controlling interests for the second quarter of 2012. Our net loss for the 2012 second quarter included interest expense of $0.4 million and royalty payments of $0.5 million, versus no comparable expenses and payments in the prior year period, and income tax expense of $1.3 million versus a benefit for income taxes of $2.3 million in last year’s second quarter.