The satellite radio giant brought in revenue of $838 million, a 13% hike on the prior year's quarter, and above analysts' estimate of $834.88 million.
Sirius earned 48 cents a share on net income of $3.1 billion, compared to 3 cents a share and $173 million in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting earnings of 2 cents a share. The company's second-quarter net income, however, includes a $3 billion income tax benefit.
The New York-based firm also raised its 2012 revenue, net subscriber growth and adjusted EBITDA guidance.Investors responded positively to the numbers, pushing Sirius shares up 2.95% to $2.26 before market open. Sirius was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 8,272,194. Facebook (FB) was another active premarket Nasdaq stock, rising 1.05% to $22.15 on share volume of 123,475. Facebook partner Zynga (ZNGA), which has joined forces with Universal Studios Home Entertainment to celebrate the release of Dr. Seuss' The Lorax on BlueRay and DVD, rose 2.72% to $3.02 before market open. Groupon (GRPN), which closed up 10.02% on Monday, crept up 0.41% to $7.28 in premarket trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV