MannKind Corporation (Nasdaq: MNKD) today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
For the second quarter of 2012, total operating expenses were $44.1 million, compared to $39.2 million for the second quarter of 2011, an increase of $4.9 million. Research and development (R&D) expenses were $26.6 million for the second quarter of 2012 compared to $30.3 million for the same quarter in 2011, a decrease of $3.7 million. This 12.2% decrease was primarily due to the settlement of the terminated insulin supply agreement in the second quarter of 2011 of $11.9 million, partially offset by an increase of $7.5 million in clinical trial related activities. General and administrative (G&A) expenses increased by $8.5 million to $17.4 million for the second quarter of 2012 compared to $8.9 million in the second quarter of 2011. This 95.5% increase in G&A expense was primarily due to a $7.7 million litigation settlement accrual recorded in the second quarter of 2012 and increased legal fees and financing transaction costs.
For the first six months of 2012, operating expenses totaled $78.0 million, compared to $77.2 million in the first half of 2011. Total R&D expenses for the six months ended June 30, 2012 decreased $5.8 million or 10.2% compared to the same period in 2011, primarily due to the termination of the insulin supply agreement partially offset by increased clinical trial related activities in the first half of 2012. G&A expenses increased by $6.5 million, or 31.7%, to $27.2 million for the first half of 2012 as compared to $20.7 million in the same period in 2011. The increase was primarily due to the $7.7 million litigation settlement accrual recorded in the second quarter of 2012 and increased legal fees and financing transaction costs, partially offset by the decrease in salary related costs as a result of the February 2011 reduction in force.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV