NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In recent stories I have written on TheStreet.com, I suggested booking profits on overvalued utility stocks on July 30 and on overvalued consumer staples stocks Monday, Aug. 6. On the buy side I focused on the undervalued basic materials stocks on July 31 and undervalued energy stocks on Aug. 1.
Today I am focusing on undervalued and Buy rated stocks in the PHLX Semiconductor Sector Index (SOXX). The last time I assessed the risk/reward for semiconductors was on July 19 when I wrote Intel Pointing the Way for Chip Stocks two days after Intel (INTC) reported solid second-quarter earnings results.
On July 17, SOX set its year to date low at 345.50. Since then SOX rallied to 394.13, up 14.1% into Monday, Aug. 6. The daily chart below shows that SOX failed at its 200-day simple moving average on June 20 and on July 3; it appears that the third time is the charm with Monday's close above the 200-day at 391.78. It was the first close above the 200-day since May 14.
At the low on July 17, SOX held above its 200-week simple moving average 344.60.
Chart Courtesy of Thomson / Reuters
Chart Courtesy of Thomson/Reuters
Reading the TableOV/UN Valued: The stocks with a red number are undervalued by this percentage. Those with a black number are overvalued by that percentage according to ValuEngine.
VE Rating: A 1-Engine rating is a Strong Sell, a 2-Engine rating is a Sell, a 3-Engine rating is a Hold, a 4-Engine rating is a Buy and a 5-Engine rating is a Strong Buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV