The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ: PTRY), the leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern U.S., today announced financial results for its fiscal third quarter and nine months ended June 28, 2012.
Third Quarter Summary:
- Net income was $14.8 million or $0.65 per share. This compares to net income of $19.0 million or $0.84 per share in last year’s third quarter. Excluding the impact of impairment charges, net income for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $15.9 million or $0.70 per share, compared to earnings per share of $0.93 in the prior year (see reconciliation below).
- Adjusted EBITDA was $74.7 million, compared to $84.7 million a year ago.
- Comparable store merchandise revenue increased 3.6%.
- Merchandise gross margin was 33.5%, compared to 34.0% a year ago.
- Fuel gross profit was $67.1 million, compared to $80.1 million a year ago.
- Cash flow from operations was $80.2 million.
President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis G. Hatchell said, “We generated $75 million of Adjusted EBITDA for our fiscal third quarter, which was at the high end of our expectations. While pleased with these results, we are focused on improving them over time by implementing our strategic initiatives, such as our store remodel, foodservice and lifestyle merchandising programs. Our initiative to improve leverage resulted in a reduction of funded debt during fiscal 2012 of approximately $182 million, including the reductions related to our recent refinancing.”
Comparable store merchandise sales in the third quarter increased 3.6% in total and 5.7% excluding cigarettes. Total merchandise gross profit for the quarter was $159.7 million, a decrease of $0.3 million from the third quarter a year ago.Fuel gross profit decreased 16.3% in the third quarter of fiscal 2012 compared to the same period a year ago, primarily due to a reduction in retail fuel margin per gallon to $0.146 from $0.166 a year ago. Retail fuel gallons sold in the third quarter of fiscal 2012 decreased 5.0% overall and 3.6% on a comparable store basis as compared to last year’s third quarter.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts