NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of some of the big mining companies rose Monday along with the price of gold.
Gold for December delivery climbed $6.90, or 0.4 percent, to finish at $1,616.20 an ounce. Silver and copper prices were higher too.
The market for gold might have been lifted by a decline in the dollar. The euro hit a one-month high against the dollar, to $1.2399 in late trading Monday.
Gold is often priced in dollars, so weakness in the dollar can boost demand for gold from dealers in other currencies.Shares of Newmont Mining Corp. rose $1.46 or 3.3 percent, to close at $46.13. Barrick Gold Corp. gained 61 cents to end at $33.36. Randgold Resources Ltd. rose $2.40, or 2.7 percent, to close at $93.03. Yamana Gold Inc. rose 34 cents, or 2.3 percent, to finish at $15.12. Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd. rose $1.16, or 2.7 percent, to close at $44.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV