Second Quarter 2012 Results by Business Unit
- Expedited transportation: The Express-1 business generated total revenue of $25.7 million for the quarter, an 11.6% improvement from the same period last year. The improvement in revenue was primarily due to increases in the number of transactions and revenue-per-load. The company saw growth in its domestic, international and temperature-controlled businesses. Gross margin percentage was 20.0%, compared with 19.5% in 2011. The improvement in gross margin percentage reflects an increase in high-margin domestic business and a decrease in insurance claims, partially offset by higher rates paid to owner operators. Operating income was $2.4 million for the quarter, a 17.9% increase from the same period last year.
- Freight forwarding: The Concert Group Logistics (CGL) business generated total revenue of $16.5 million for the quarter, a 4.7% increase from the same period last year. Gross margin percentage increased to 11.0% for the quarter, from 10.6% a year ago, primarily due to higher volume with company-owned branches versus lower-margin agent-owned stations. Operating income was $128,000 for the quarter, compared with $399,000 last year, reflecting higher SG&A costs associated with investments in company-owned cold-starts in Charlotte, N.C., Atlanta, Ga., and Los Angeles, Calif.
- Freight brokerage: The company's freight brokerage business generated total revenue of $13.9 million for the quarter, a 107.5% improvement from the same period last year. The acquisition of Continental Freight Services on May 8, 2012, had a positive revenue impact of $3.6 million for the quarter. Excluding the acquisition, growth was primarily driven by increased volume at the company’s brokerage cold-start locations and South Bend, Ind., operation. Gross margin percentage was 11.0% for the quarter, compared with 15.3% in 2011. The decline in gross margin was primarily due to lower-margin sales during the start-up phase of cold-start locations. Operating loss was $972,000 for the quarter, compared with operating income of $172,000 the prior year, reflecting cold-start costs partially offset by higher operating income from the South Bend operation.
Six Months 2012 Financial Results
For the six months ended June 30, 2012, the company reported total revenue of $99.1 million, a 15.8% increase from the first six months of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV