Power Integrations (Nasdaq: POWI) today announced financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2012. Net revenues for the second quarter were $76.4 million, up six percent from the prior quarter and down five percent compared with the second quarter of 2011. GAAP gross margin for the quarter was 49.4 percent; operating margin was 12.3 percent. The company reported a GAAP net loss for the quarter of $7.2 million or $0.25 per share, driven by a one-time net charge of $15.7 million associated with the tax settlement described below. The second-quarter net loss compares to net income of $0.25 per diluted share in the prior quarter and $0.35 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2011.
In addition to its GAAP results, the company provided certain non-GAAP financial measures that exclude stock-based compensation expenses, acquisition-related costs and expenses, non-cash interest income, the tax effects of these items, and the one-time charge associated with the tax settlement. Non-GAAP gross margin for the second quarter was 51.9 percent, an increase of 310 basis points sequentially; non-GAAP operating margin was 20.7 percent, up 340 basis points sequentially.
Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was $14.6 million or $0.49 per diluted share, compared with $0.36 per diluted share in the prior quarter and $0.43 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2011. The company’s non-GAAP effective tax rate for the second quarter was 9.0 percent, reflecting a reduction in the company’s expected full-year 2012 non-GAAP tax rate to approximately 13 percent, compared with the prior expectation of a full-year rate in the high teens.
The company today announced a settlement with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service that resolves the IRS audit of the company’s taxes for the years 2003 through 2006. The settlement includes the following elements:
- During the third quarter of 2012 Power Integrations will make a one-time payment of $42.6 million in taxes and interest relating primarily to the revaluation of a license to certain intellectual property rights of the company to one of its foreign subsidiaries. As noted above, the company’s GAAP results for the second quarter include a one-time net charge of $15.7 million reflecting the taxes and interest to be paid, partially offset by the reversal of previously accrued tax liabilities and valuation allowances. Of the $15.7 million charge, approximately $12.7 million relates to taxes and $3.0 million to interest.
- The company expects a substantial reduction in its ongoing effective tax rates. Specifically, the company expects its 2013 GAAP and non-GAAP effective tax rates to be in the high single digits. For the remaining two quarters of 2012 the GAAP and non-GAAP effective tax rates are expected to be approximately 18 percent and 13 percent, respectively.
- The agreement permits Power Integrations to repatriate approximately $102 million of earnings from its foreign subsidiaries without further U.S. federal income-tax consequences.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV