Whitestone REIT (NYSE: WSR - “Whitestone” or the “Company”), a fully integrated real estate company that owns, operates and re-develops Community Centered Properties TM, which are visibly located in established or developing culturally diverse neighborhoods, announced its financial results for the second quarter of 2012.
"We continue to focus on our value-add internal growth initiatives, which include re-developing, re-positioning, and re-leasing our core properties, and ended the quarter by increasing occupancy to 87%, the highest it has been since our August 2010 initial public offering, up 6% versus the same reporting period a year ago. We expect our increased occupancy to lead to increased revenue, NOI and FFO over the balance of the year. We are pleased with our leasing results and operating strategy, which confirms the effectiveness of our Community Center Property focus on small service based tenants," said James C. Mastandrea, Whitestone's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We also continue our external growth strategy to acquire value-add properties in markets with strong demographics. We closed on one acquisition of $6.4 million during the quarter, and have approximately $40 million of additional communities under contract that are expected to close. Our acquisitions pipeline, in addition to these properties remains substantial, and includes: properties in foreclosure; under distressed financial and operating pressure; and potential tenant in common exchanges for operating partnership units. These properties meet our criteria of having cash flow with a value-add component, and are each located in economically vibrant, resilient, and culturally diverse neighborhoods."
Highlights: Second Quarter 2012 Compared to Second Quarter 2011
- Net income attributable to Whitestone REIT increased $627,000 to $431,000, or $0.04 per diluted common share, compared to a loss of $196,000 or $0.02 per diluted common share for the same period in 2011.
- Funds from Operations ("FFO") increased 69% to $2.7 million, or $0.22 per diluted common share and operating partnership unit ("OP unit"), as compared to $1.6 million or $0.15 per diluted common share and OP unit for the second quarter 2011.
- Funds from Operations-Core ("FFO-Core") increased 45% to $2.9 million, or $0.23 per diluted common share and OP unit, as compared to $2.0 million or $0.20 per diluted common share and OP unit for the second quarter 2011.
- Property net operating income (“NOI”) increased 35% to $6.7 million as compared to $5.0 million for the same period in 2011. The increase of $1.7 million is primarily attributable to NOI of new acquisitions.
- The Company declared a quarterly cash distribution of $0.285 per common share and OP unit, which was paid in three equal installments of $0.095 in April, May and June 2012. In May 2012, the Company also declared its second quarter cash distribution of $0.285 per common share and OP unit, which has been paid or will be paid in three equal installments of $0.095 in July, August and September 2012.
Second Quarter 2012 Leasing HighlightsThe Company's total property occupancy increased 6% to 87% as compared to 81% at the same period in 2011. Total property occupancy includes properties under redevelopment, undergoing significant retenanting and recent acquisitions. Operating portfolio occupancy rate increased to 87% from 84% at the same period 2011. The Company defines Operating portfolio occupancy as physical occupancy in all properties, excluding (i) new acquisitions through the earlier of attainment of 90% occupancy or 18 months of ownership and (ii) properties that are undergoing significant redevelopment or re-tenanting.