Rating Change #3
has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Electric Utilities industry average. The net income increased by 15.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $320.60 million to $370.58 million.
- ENTERGY CORP has improved earnings per share by 17.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ENTERGY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $7.54 versus $6.65 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 29.4% in earnings ($5.32 versus $7.54).
- ETR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ENTERGY CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
Entergy Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the electric power production and retail electric distribution operations in the United States. The company operates in two segments, Utility and Entergy Wholesale Commodities. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.8, equal to the average utilities industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Entergy has a market cap of $12.94 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 0% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
Entergy Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center