(NYSE: DVA), a leading provider of kidney care services that is committed to improving the quality of life for those diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD), today released its fourth annual corporate social responsibility (CSR) report, which highlights the company’s philanthropic, sustainability and community-building efforts through 2011.
The 48-page report, titled “Community Care,” draws on the programs and initiatives launched by DaVita® and its teammates to empower and enrich the lives of patients, fellow teammates and all members of the community. These initiatives represent DaVita’s Trilogy of Care: caring for our patients, each other and the world. In addition, the report outlines the company’s clinical leadership and continuous innovation to improve not only patient outcomes but also their quality of life.
“Improving quality of life for our patients, each other and communities around the world is at the heart of what we strive to do,” said Kent Thiry, chairman and CEO of DaVita. “This report helps demonstrate how deeply we care about our patients, each other, and our world.”
The 2011 report highlights DaVita’s commitment to social responsibility as a core aspect of the company culture, including continuous improvement efforts in operating sustainably, promoting early CKD detection, supporting our communities and delivering quality care.
Caring for Our Patients
Social and Educational Tools
- Through its innovative, integrated approach to kidney care, DaVita has delivered superior clinical outcomes that helped reduce hospitalizations – and the associated expenses – which is estimated to have saved taxpayers more than $1 billion over the past two years.
- DaVita has improved its patients’ fistula-adoption rate by 91% over the last 10 years. At the end of 2011, 61.9% of DaVita patients were using fistulas.
Caring for Each Other
- In 2011 DaVita revamped its CKD educational program to be more accessible through online modules for dialysis and pre-dialysis CKD patients and caregivers. DaVita KidneySmart™ aims to give people with CKD who have not yet started dialysis the information they need to make healthy choices and slow the progression of kidney disease.
Caring for Our World
Raising Awareness for Kidney Disease
- DaVita provides aid to teammates in times of crisis through the DaVita Village Network, a fund supported by teammates and corporate profits. To date, more than $1.9 million has been given to teammates in need.
- DaVita also provides educational assistance to teammates, through tuition reimbursement, nursing scholarship programs and the Redwoods MBA-program scholarships.
- The Village Care program grants free health insurance coverage to eligible teammates who make significant progress toward better health.
- In 2011 DaVita transformed a series of 5K run/walks across the country into a single 5K in Denver (DaVita’s headquarters city), offering no-cost kidney screenings to registrants and raising $500,000 for Bridge of Life—DaVita Medical Missions™, which supports providing access to and improving the quality of kidney care in developing countries.
- Tour DaVita®, DaVita’s annual 250-mile bicycle ride to raise awareness of and funds for the fight against kidney disease, has involved 1,600 teammates, physicians, friends and patients and has raised $4.1 million to date.
- The DaVita Way of Giving campaign, launched in 2011, empowered teammates at clinics across the country to select more than 600 different charities that received a collective total of $1.5 million in contributions.
- DaVita Village Service Days involve teammates in community-service projects of all kinds. Over the last several years, more than 7,400 teammates and friends have launched a variety of local community-service projects.
- DaVita is the only kidney care company recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency for its sustainability initiatives. Some achievements include operating the only LEED®-certified dialysis clinic in the United States, as well as launching the first-ever dialysis clinic to use solar-thermal technology. At DaVita’s corporate headquarters, 95 percent of waste is diverted through composting and recycling efforts.
It is through these programs that we grow ever closer to achieving our vision of Building the Greatest Healthcare Community the World Has Ever Seen. DaVita’s Community Care report on social responsibility is now live on DaVita.com/communitycare.