NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The consumer staples sector covers what consumers eat, drink, smoke, clean with and use to primp their bodies. It includes supermarkets, drugs and some Big Box retailers. These companies' stocks have been popular choices for investors seeking safety, since consumers still must buy and use products considered necessities.
Last Tuesday, the Conference Board's reading on the Consumer Confidence Index came in better than expected at 65.9 in July, but this reading remains well below the neutral zone of 90 to 120 for this measure.
On the same day, the personal spending report for June showed no growth for the second month in a row. This is not data that can sustain the stock strength seen in the consumer staples sector.
A great benchmark for the consumer staples sector is the
Consumer Staples Sector SPDR Fund
(XLP), which contains 41 stocks including four in alcoholic beverages, five in soft drinks, 13 in food, two drugstores, four supermarkets, three soap producers, four tobacco companies and two cosmetics companies. These companies all make products consumers use regardless of the economic times.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV