Altria reaffirms its 2012 full-year guidance for adjusted diluted EPS, which excludes special items shown in Table 1 below, to be in the range of $2.19 to $2.23, representing a growth rate of 7% to 9% from an adjusted diluted EPS base of $2.05 per share in 2011. Altria anticipates adjusted diluted EPS growth to moderate in the second half of 2012 compared to the first half of 2012. Altria expects the debt tender transaction to impact 2012 third-quarter adjusted diluted EPS negatively, primarily due to an increase in Altria’s 2012 full-year effective tax rate on operations. Altria believes that adjusted diluted EPS performance will be stronger in the fourth quarter compared to the third quarter of 2012.
The factors described in the Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements section of this release represent continuing risks to this forecast. Reconciliations of full-year adjusted to reported diluted EPS are shown in Table 1 below.
|Table 1 - Altria’s Full-Year Earnings Per Share Guidance Excluding Special Items|
|Reported diluted EPS||$1.96 to $2.00||$||1.64||20% to 22%|
|Loss on early extinguishment of debt||0.33||-|
Asset impairment, exit, integration and implementation costs
|SABMiller special items||(0.09||)||0.03|
|PMCC leveraged lease (benefit) charge||(0.03||)||0.30|
|Tobacco and health judgments||-||
|Adjusted diluted EPS||$2.19 to $2.23||$||2.05||7% to 9%|
* Excludes the tax impact of the PMCC leveraged lease (benefit) charge.
2012 Full-Year Tax Rate GuidanceAltria anticipates that its 2012 full-year effective tax rate on operations will increase by one percentage point to approximately 37% due to a reduction in certain consolidated tax benefits resulting from the debt tender transaction. The factors described in the Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements section of this release represent continuing risks to this forecast. Reconciliations of 2012 full-year effective tax rate on operations to reported effective tax rate are shown in Table 2 below.
|Table 2 - Altria’s Tax Rate|
|Reported Effective Tax Rate||35.9%|
Interest benefit on tax underpayments associated with PMCC leveraged lease transactions
|Other tax items||
|Effective Tax Rate on Operations||36.9%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV