The major trade group for the global pharmaceutical industry, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), and economic consulting firm Analysis Group, Inc. (AG) have selected benchmark industry tools from Medidata Solutions (NASDAQ: MDSO) as the key input for research into the costs of post-approval clinical trials.
Clinical trials are one of the costliest areas in bringing safe and effective new treatments to patients. After a medicine has been approved for initial use, pharmaceutical companies often invest further in determining its effectiveness and safety for new populations, such as pediatric patients. PhRMA and AG are analyzing the costs associated with these post-approval trials, identifying cost drivers and variations.
The research will rely on the world’s largest databases of negotiated clinical costs from Medidata Grants Manager ® and Medidata CRO Contractor ®, which have the PICAS ® and CROCAS ® databases containing hundreds of thousands of data points from actual executed protocols, investigator grants and other contracts from pharmaceutical and other research sponsors.
- “Research on a new medicine often continues long after marketing approval, generating crucial information on a medicine's safety in a broader population and potential efficacy for new indications. Efficiently and effectively conducting these clinical trials is key to industry’s ability to provide new and improved treatment options to patients,” said Lori Reilly, vice president of policy and research, PhRMA. “Medidata’s benchmark cost database solutions are ideal for helping us understand factors affecting post-approval research.”
Working with AG, a widely-recognized group of health economics experts, PhRMA will deliver the key data points that will form the foundation of this research.
- “We will be examining how cost factors vary across indications and uses, allowing us to build on past research,” said Genia Long, managing principal, Analysis Group. “Medidata's detailed clinical trial data allows for thorough investigation of drivers of clinical trial costs.”
- “Our data-based trial planning solutions are widely used by drug companies to rein in trial costs through efficient planning, negotiation and management,” said Glen de Vries, president, Medidata Solutions. “We are very pleased that these tools are also underpinning some of the most important research in pharmaceutical economics, helping develop new industry strategies to streamline the research process.”
- Read our blog, Geeks Talk Clinical
- Tweet this: .@PhRMA and @analysisgroup implement @Medidata cost benchmarking tools to analyze post-approval #clinical costs http://bit.ly/NqzmqB
- Follow us on Twitter: @Medidata
- Find us on LinkedIn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV