For example, anyone bullish on Norway's fundamental and fiscal health could use the iShares MSCI Norway Capped Investable Market Index Fund (ENOR), which has a 51% weight to energy. Obviously a 10% portfolio weight in ENOR would provide 5.1%, out of the targeted 11%, for the energy sector.
A similar 10% weighting in the Index IQ Canada Small Cap ETF (CNDA) would account for an additional 2.7% weight for energy. Again, in order to buy CNDA one must be favorably disposed to the country's prospects and the role that oil exports will play in those prospects.
From there the exposure could be rounded out with the Global X China Energy ETF (CHIE). China does face an economic slowdown along with the consequences for building too much housing supply in relation to what the demand is likely to be but energy consumption should keep increasing slowly and so buying this fund requires believing in that part of the China story.
The above combination is of course just an example but the bigger point is the extent to which individual investors can isolate very specific market segments to create potentially sophisticated portfolios without necessarily taking on individual stock risk.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV