American States Water Company (NYSE:AWR) today reported net income from continuing operations of $15.1 million, or $0.79 per basic and fully diluted share for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, as compared to net income from continuing operations of $12.7 million, or $0.68 per basic and fully diluted share for the same period in 2011, a 16% increase in earnings per share. Total basic and fully diluted earnings per share were $0.79 for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, as compared to basic and fully diluted earnings per share of $0.85 for the quarter ended June 30, 2011. Included in the results for the second quarter of 2011 were earnings from discontinued operations of $0.17 per share resulting from the operation and sale of Chaparral City Water Company which was completed in May 2011. The table below sets forth a comparison of diluted earnings per share for the second quarter.
|Q2 2012||Q2 2011||$ Change||% Change|
|Income from continuing operations||$||0.79||$||0.68||$||0.11||16||%|
|Income from discontinued operations||---||0.17||(0.17||)||(100||%)|
|Total diluted earnings per share||$||0.79||$||0.85||($0.06||)||(7||%)|
Second Quarter 2012 Results
The table below sets forth a comparison of the second quarter diluted earnings per share from continuing operations by business segment:
|Q2 2012||Q2 2011||$ Change|
|Totals from continuing operations||$||0.79||$||0.68||$||0.11|
- An increase in the water gross margin of approximately $305,000, or $0.01 per share, during the three months ended June 30, 2012 as compared to the same period in 2011 due to third year rate increases for Regions II and III approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (“CPUC”) effective January 1, 2012.
- An increase in operating expenses (other than supply costs) by approximately $1.0 million, or $0.03 per share, due primarily to increases in depreciation expense resulting from additions to utility plant, conservation related costs, and employee related costs.
- An overall decrease in interest expense (net of interest income) of $1.3 million, or $0.04 per share, due primarily to lower short-term bank borrowings and the recording of a $381,000 reduction in interest expense in connection with the CPUC’s final decision on the water cost of capital proceeding. In addition, included in the three months ended June 30, 2011 results were interest charges totaling $553,000 related to the redemption of $22.0 million of GSWC’s 7.65% Medium-Term Notes, which did not recur in 2012.
- A decrease in the effective tax rate increased earnings by approximately $0.03 per share during the second quarter of 2012 primarily resulting from changes between book and taxable income that are treated as flow-through adjustments in accordance with regulatory requirements, and changes in certain permanent items.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV