2012 has been a stellar year for $22 billion regional bank stock BB&T (BBT). So far this year, shares of the firm have rallied more than 26%, easily outperforming the broad market. But there's reason to believe that this big bank could have higher to run. That's why it's making our Rocket Stocks list this week.
BB&T is a bank whose 1,800 branches are centered on the South -- and unlike the big banks that grab the headlines each week, BB&T actually stuck to the banking business in the years leading up to the real estate bubble bursting. By keeping tighter underwriting standards than most, BB&T was able to skirt some of the biggest pitfalls of tumbling real estate prices in its home base region, and squeeze out double-digit net margins for its trouble.During the crisis, BB&T used its size to snatch up assets of Colonial BancGroup from the FDIC at a bargain basement price and with limited risk. Now the firm is benefitting from the cheap deposits it picked up. That's a big part of why shares have shot up so much in 2012. As BB&T continues to eke out improvements as the economy recuperates, investors should benefit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV