Another commodity name we're watching this week is Sothern Copper (SCCO), the biggest copper producer in the world with more than 146 billion pounds of the metal in its reserves. Southern Copper also owns molybdenum and zinc reserves, the former giving SCCO minor exposure to rare earths.
Copper has been the base metal equivalent of gold in the last few years (not just because they're often found together), and Southern's margins show it -- the firm owns Mexican and Peruvian mines that are able to yank copper out of the ground at rock bottom costs, and as a result, SCCO earns net margins approaching 35%.And it pays a big chunk of that out as cash to shareholders: The firm's dividend yield currently weighs in just above 5%. >>5 Blue-Chips Ready to Boost Dividends That's what happens when you have a big, concentrated owner that's focused on providing value to shareholders; because around 80% of SCCO is owned by conglomerate Grupo Mexico, SCCO has historically kept a payout ratio of around 80%. We're betting on shares this week. SCCO was also featured recently in " 6 Dividend Stocks With Strong Payout Ratios."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV