Farrell stars in this version of the futuristic Philip K. Dick short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale as a man who struggles to piece together his memory after he discovers the life he's been living is a fabrication. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel co-star.
"The thing about 'Total Recall' is that it's always been made for the world stage, and we're off to a good start opening in smaller markets this week," Bruer said. "Overall when you consider this movie was made for such a reasonable price ($125 million), for the scenario of what we got, we've opened really well. I think we're going to be very pleased with the result."
Also this week, the
Universal Pictures comedy
Ted made an additional $5.5 million to cross the $200 million mark domestically; it also had a huge weekend internationally, taking in $32 million.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane directs for the first time and provides the voice of a foul-mouthed, pot-smoking teddy bear who's the lifelong best friend of Mark Wahlberg's character.
"It's very, very R-rated but it's the quintessential word-of-mouth movie," Dergarabedian said. "You see it and you've got to take your friends to see it so they can believe what you're saying."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV