Our WinGuard sales increased in new construction markets by $1.8 million and in the remodeling markets by $1.9 million over 2011. These areas of growth reflect improving market conditions including increased housing starts mainly in the Southwest region of Florida, and targeted efforts to increase share in both Southeast and Southwest Florida.
We did experience floor sales in our non-impact products of $600,000 and our Architectural Systems products decreased by $900,000 primarily driven by the completion of some large projects. Another EBITDA contributor was our gross margin improvement, for the second quarter of 2012, our gross margin was 35.5% compared to 19.9% for the second quarter of 2011, which after adding back consolidation charges and manufacturing inefficiencies, would have been 29.9%.
The increase of 5.6% in gross margin in 2012, was driven by a significant reduction in scrap, mixed improvements and consolidation savings. SG&A cost for the second quarter of 2012, decreased $400,000 or 3% after adjusting for consolidation costs from the prior year. This was driven by consolidation savings of $1 million and $200,000 in decrease in warranty costs offset with an increase of $800,000 in employee benefit costs.
Within our core market, total housing starts were up 41% for the second quarter of 2012, when compared to 2011. Single-family starts were up 29% compared to a year-ago. Our growth in housing starts is encouraging, as reminder, this growth is off a very low base.Results for the first six months of 2012, include; sales down 1.4% from the prior year, primarily from exiting certain out-of-state markets, gross margin percentage of 33.6%, net income of $3 million EBITDA of $11.1 million.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV