The improvement in both the three and nine months ended June 30, 2012 for non-GAAP operating earnings reflect higher revenues from the implementation of new rates in Virginia and Maryland, an increase in average active customer meters and lower interest expense, partially offset by: (i) unfavorable effects of changes in natural gas consumption patterns in the District of Columbia; (ii) higher operation and maintenance expenses and (iii) higher depreciation expense due to the growth in our investment in utility plant. For the nine month period, favorable variances were also partially offset by lower realized margins associated with our asset optimization program and higher income tax expense due to an increase in the effective tax rate.
Retail Energy-Marketing Segment
For the quarter ended June 30, 2012, the retail energy-marketing segment reported net income of $19.7 million, or $0.38 per share, an increase of $11.4 million, or $0.22 per share over net income of $8.3 million, or $0.16 per share, reported for the same quarter of the prior fiscal year. Non-GAAP operating earnings for the retail energy-marketing segment were $9.0 million, or $0.17 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, an increase of $1.3 million, or $0.02 per share, over non-GAAP operating earnings of $7.7 million, or $0.15 per share, for the same quarter of the prior fiscal year.
For the nine months ended June 30, 2012, the retail energy-marketing segment reported net income of $25.0 million, or $0.48 per share, compared to net income of $42.9 million, or $0.84 per share, reported for the same period of the prior fiscal year. Non-GAAP operating earnings for the retail energy-marketing segment were $27.3 million, or $0.53 per share, for the nine months ended June 30, 2012, an increase of $4.8 million, or $0.09 per share, over non-GAAP operating earnings of $22.5 million, or $0.44 per share, for the same period of the prior fiscal year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV