UIL Holdings Corporation (NYSE: UIL) today reported consolidated net income of $12.0 million, or $0.23 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2012, compared to $14.2 million or $0.28 per diluted share for the same period in 2011. For the first six months of 2012, UIL’s consolidated net income was $59.0 million, or $1.16 per diluted share, compared to $66.2 million, or $1.30 per diluted share for the same period in 2011.
“We experienced the warmest winter on record and those warm temperatures continued into spring. The warm temperatures significantly impacted the financial results of our gas business,” said James P. Torgerson, UIL’s president and chief executive officer. “We have been able to mitigate some of the weather’s impact by maintaining our focus on short-term O&M cost controls. We also continue to execute on our growth strategy of converting businesses and households in our service territory to natural gas heat. Year-to-date 2012 conversions are 46% ahead of 2011 levels and we currently are on target to meet our 2012 goal.”
Electric distribution, CTA & other
Earnings from the electric distribution business for the second quarter in 2012 were $10.9 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared to $11.1 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, for the same period in 2011. The decrease in earnings for the quarter was primarily attributable to a decrease in allowance for funds used during construction (AFUDC), partially offset by increased income from UI’s equity investment in GenConn.For the first six months of 2012, the electric distribution business had total earnings of $25.1 million, or $0.49 per diluted share, compared to $21.8 million, or $0.43 per diluted share, for the same period in 2011. The increase in earnings for the first six months was primarily attributable to increased income from UI’s equity investment in GenConn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV