Buy, Sell or Rent: Americans Rewrite the Dream
By Diana Olick, CNBC Real Estate Reporter
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- American homes have never been more affordable than they are today. Prices are down dramatically, mortgage rates are at record lows and desperate sellers are willing to make concessions.
Still about one third of Americans choose to rent, despite the fact that 85% say owning makes more sense financially than renting over the long term, according to a new Fannie Mae study.
Buying is cheaper than renting in most U.S. markets, according to another study from online real estate sale site Zillow. The upfront costs may be higher, but Zillow looked at what it calls the "breakeven horizon," which is when the cost of owning (including down payment, taxes, fees) meets the cost of renting. While markets will vary neighborhood to neighborhood, the breakeven point in many markets, like Minneapolis, Baltimore, Denver, St. Louis, Chicago and Charlotte, is under three years.
More from CNBC
Which is Sexier, Twitter or Facebook?
Car and Truck Reliability Hits Record High
Oil Could Turn to Headwind as Dow Flirts With 13,000
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV