Several reporters at the Apple and Samsung patent trial tweeted about Apple reportedly getting into a slew of new categories, including cars. The New York Times' Nick Bilton tweeted "Phil Schiller on stand said before making the iPhone, there was discussion ofApple making a camera or a car -- 'crazy stuff,'" Bilton tweeted from San Jose, Calif.
During his testimony at the trial, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing, referenced the days when Apple considered developing a car.
In Bilton's more extensive report, he elaborated on Schiller's remark:"First, Apple had been known for years for the Mac. Then we had a big hit called the iPod -- it really changed the view inside and outside the company," Mr. Schiller said, adding that Apple began looking at other products it could build. "People were suggesting every idea: make a camera, make a car -- crazy stuff." Finanical Times' reporter Tim Bradshaw also tweeted the curious comments from Schiller, noting that after the iPod became a hit, people suggested all kinds of different products for Apple to make. Apple did not immediately respond to TheStreet's request for clarification on this report. Apple shares were up 1.25% to $615.10 in Friday trade. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV