One stock that's trading within range of triggering a major breakout trade is Apple (AAPL), which is off to a hot start in 2012, with shares up over 50% so far.
If you take a look at the chart for Apple, you'll notice that this stock recently gapped down big off its earnings report with heavy volume. That move pushed Apple right under its 50-day moving average to around $570 a share. At that level, shares of Apple found buying interest as the stock tested $570 a number of times and held that level. Shares of Apple then busted back above its 50-day moving average, and now the stock is trending within range of triggering a breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased traders in AAPL once it manages to trigger a breakout trade above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $616.40 to $619.87 a share, and then above $620.25 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that's near or above its three-month average action of 15.4 million shares. If we get that action soon, then AAPL will setup to re-test and possibly take out its next major overhead resistance level at $644 a share. That $644 level also happens to be the all-time high for Apple.>>5 Blue-Chips Ready to Boost Dividends One could look to buy AAPL off any weakness to anticipate the breakout, and simply use a stop that sits around some near-term support at $600 a share. One could also just buy off strength once AAPL clears those breakout levels with volume. If you buy off strength, then use a stop that sits just below $610 a share. Apple, which shows up on a list of 3 Stocks to Sell if They Crash on Earnings, was also featured recently in " 5 Huge Stocks Ready to Slingshot Higher."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV