NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ BHP Billiton expects to book charges of more than $3 billion to reflect declining values of its U.S. natural gas reserves and a nickel mine in Australia.
CEO Marius Kloppers and the head of the company's petroleum division, Mike Yeager, said they would not accept a bonus this year.
Global natural resource and mining companies are pulling back in many regions with so many signs pointed to a slow global recovery, particularly for China.
"These are difficult times, particularly for those companies and their shareholders who are being affected by global uncertainty," BHP Chairman Jac Nasser said. "Notwithstanding the prevailing environment we are confident in the outlook for the United States natural gas market and the role our shale assets will play in BHP Billiton's portfolio."The Australian mining and energy company said that it will take a $2.84 billion impairment charge to reflect a decline in the value of its shale gas assets in the U.S. Values of U.S. gas assets have declined for the entire industry as a surge in domestic supplies and the sluggish economy 'pushed prices to the lowest level in a decade. BHP also will take a $450 million charge against the carrying value of its Nickel West assets in Australia. The company said it needed to book that charge to reflect a decline in profit margins. The company made the decision to book the charges as part of its annual asset review. The review will be completed on Aug. 22. Shares of BHP Billiton Ltd. rose by $1.22, or 1.9 percent, to $67.33 in premarket trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV