As of June 30, 2012, tailored network products accounted for 35.2 percent of the company’s Western Region commercial enrollment compared with 30.5 percent at June 30, 2011.
Medicaid enrollment in California at June 30, 2012 was approximately 1.1 million members, an increase of 97,000 members, or 10.1 percent, from June 30, 2011.
Enrollment in the company’s Medicare Advantage (MA) plans in the Western Region at June 30, 2012 was 228,000 members, an increase of 11.2 percent compared with June 30, 2011.
RevenuesTotal revenues in the Western Region in the second quarter of 2012 were approximately $2.7 billion compared with $2.5 billion in the second quarter of 2011. Net investment income in the Western Region was $24.7 million in the second quarter of 2012 compared with $25.1 million in the second quarter of 2011 and $22.3 million in the first quarter of 2012. Health Plan Services Expenses Health plan services expenses in the Western Region were $2.4 billion in the second quarter of 2012 compared with approximately $2.1 billion in the second quarter of 2011. Commercial Premium Yields and Health Care Cost Trends In the Western Region, commercial premiums per member per month (PMPM) increased by 4.6 percent to $373 in the second quarter of 2012 compared with $357 in the second quarter of 2011. Commercial health care costs PMPM in the Western Region increased by 8.2 percent to approximately $331 in the second quarter of 2012 compared with $306 in the second quarter of 2011. “The 360 basis point negative spread between commercial premium yields and health care costs PMPM was primarily due to the adverse prior period development in the second quarter and margin pressure due to emerging adverse risk selection in the company’s largest commercial accounts,” Woys said. “We are revising our full-year 2012 guidance on the commercial spread to negative 350 to 400 basis points due to the adverse prior period development.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV