Health Net, Inc. (NYSE: HNT) today announced 2012 second quarter GAAP net income of $124.6 million, or $1.48 per diluted share, compared with $58.3 million, or $0.63 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2011.
The 2011 and 2012 financial results included in this release and the attached financial tables reflect the treatment of the company’s Medicare stand-alone Part D (Medicare PDP) business as discontinued operations.
The 2012 second quarter GAAP results include:
- a $119.4 million net gain from the sale of discontinued operations, representing the company’s Medicare PDP business that was sold to an affiliate of CVS Caremark Corporation on April 1, 2012;
- a $6.5 million pretax loss related to the company’s divested operations and services; and
- $10.8 million in expenses related to the company’s general and administrative (G&A) cost reduction efforts.
For the second quarter of 2012, the company’s Western Region Operations (Western Region) and Government Contracts segments produced combined net earnings of $15.9 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, compared with $71.0 million, or $0.77 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2011.Two key factors impacting the performance in the second quarter of 2012 were:
- higher than expected commercial health care costs primarily arising from a select number of large group accounts with membership in full-network products; and
- higher than expected Medicaid health care costs primarily arising from the senior and persons with disabilities (SPDs) membership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV