Granite Construction Incorporated (NYSE: GVA) today reported second quarter 2012 net income of $1.9 million, or $0.05 per diluted share compared with $4.9 million, or $0.13 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2011.
The second quarter 2012 reflects a $4.6 million increase in operating income driven by excellent execution on large projects. In addition, other expenses increased by $6.5 million which includes an impairment loss on an investment in a manufacturer of solar power systems.
“Operating results in the quarter continue to demonstrate Granite’s ability to successfully navigate through one of the toughest construction markets our company, and our industry, has faced in recent times,” said Granite President and Chief Executive Officer James H. Roberts. “We are facing these challenging conditions head on with a keen focus on maintaining a high level of discipline when it comes to costs, bidding and execution.”
“Looking ahead, while we anticipate the Construction and Construction Materials markets in the West will remain challenging, I am encouraged by the strategic initiatives we are employing to both diversify and grow our business,” Roberts added. “In addition to a full pipeline of bidding opportunities, we expect our Large Projects to reach a number of key milestones and continue to perform very well for the balance of the year. In addition, we expect to see local and state governments put more work out to bid over the coming months given the recent passage of a two-year federal highway bill.”Second-quarter 2012 Financial Results Total Company
- Revenue totaled $539.6 million compared with $484.7 million in 2011, driven largely by an increase in Large Project Construction segment revenue.
- Gross profit margin was 9.6 percent compared with 9.3 percent in 2011.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses for the second quarter were $40.8 million compared with $38.8 million.
- Operating income for the quarter was $14.1 million compared with $9.4 million in the prior year.
- Other (expense) income includes $2.8 million attributable to a non-cash impairment loss on an investment.
- Net income attributable to noncontrolling interests in joint ventures was $2.5 million compared with $1.2 million in 2011.
- Total contract backlog at June 30, 2012, was $2.0 billion compared with $2.1 billion a year ago.
- Construction revenue for the quarter decreased 5.9 percent to $245.1 million.
- Gross profit margin for the second quarter was 7.3 percent compared with 9.0 percent a year ago primarily reflecting two project write-downs and the continued pressure on margins due to intense competition.
- Large Project Construction revenue for the quarter increased 40.9 percent to $228.8 million reflecting progress on projects that are well underway across the country.
- Gross profit margin for the quarter was 12.3 percent compared with 7.8 percent for the same period last year as a result of successful project execution and proportionately less revenue from projects that had yet to recognize gross profit.
- Construction Materials revenue for the quarter totaled $63.3 million compared with $58.1 million for the same period last year.
- Gross profit margin on the sale of Construction Materials was 7.9 percent compared with 14.6 percent in 2011 reflecting ongoing weakness in the commercial and residential markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV