During the current quarter, the company continued to be negatively impacted by the declining pricing of tellurium at its PRM business due to decreased demand in the photovoltaic market. In addition, current quarter declines in pricing of selenium caused by unforeseen reduced demand in Chinese metallurgical applications added to these negative results. Furthermore, the worldwide economy is facing challenge and headwinds due to the uncertainty in Europe and swirling growth in China. This current global economic environment, combined with the unpredictable volatility in pricing of our minor metals, has resulted in a cautious customer base company-wide.
During our fourth quarter, our Infrared Optics segment including HIGHYAG had bookings of $52 million, down 2% compared to the fourth quarter of FY '11, down 12% compared to the third quarter of FY '12, which was a record quarter. Fourth quarter was a record shipment quarter at over $53 million as we shipped against the order rate we experienced in the third quarter. Near the end of the quarter and into the month of July, we have seen softening in most markets with the biggest impact driven by Asia. We continue to be concerned as that softening is occurring at a time of lower customer spending -- lower consumer spending, vacation shutdowns around the world and slightly lower laser utilization as inventories worldwide are being adjusted.
Still in our IR Optics unit at the HIGHYAG group, bookings for the fourth quarter were down 16% quarter-over-quarter but up 28% compared to the fourth quarter of FY '11. We continue to see growth opportunities in all addressable markets and in 1-micron welding being delivery systems and 1-micron laser cutting. We have added capacity, are focused on reducing lead times and are taking advantage of the strong market demand. We had record shipments in the fourth quarter, driven by remote welding heads sold to U.S. auto plants.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV