Touch A Piece Of Mars Beginning Aug. 5 At Space Center Houston
HOUSTON, Aug. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- You can touch a piece of Mars at Space Center Houston. For the first time in the U.S., visitors can touch a piece of the Red Planet – though the rocks on Mars aren't red, only the dust.
The official unveiling of the Martian touchstone will take place during the "Curiosity: Seven Minutes of Terror" event celebrating the 12:31 a.m. CDT Monday, Aug. 6, landing of the Mars Science Lander Curiosity rover.
The Space Center Houston event opens at 9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 5, with Mars-themed live broadcasts, astronaut autographs, special activities and a pancake breakfast, through 2 a.m. Monday. Guest speakers from Johnson Space Center will include astronauts Stan Love and Mario Runco, and Mars exploration experts Carl Allen and John Connolly.The rock at Space Center Houston is the only Martian sample the public can touch, and is a piece from the EETA 79001 Martian meteorite found in the Antarctic in 1980. Part of the Antarctic meteorite collection at JSC, the sample is about 180 million years old – very young on the solar system scale – and is believed to have been thrown from Mars into space approximately 600,000 years ago. At 17.4 pounds, the original rock is one of the largest Mars meteorites ever found. The Astromaterials Acquisition and Curation Office at JSC provided the sample. The office, part of the center's Astromaterials Research and Exploration Science Directorate, is responsible for the curation of extraterrestrial samples from NASA's past and future sample return missions including the preservation, preparation and distribution of samples from the moon, asteroids, comets, the solar wind and the planet Mars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV