Honolulu-based Matson (MATX) got peeled off from its former parent Alexander & Baldwin (ALEX) earlier this year, creating two publicly traded companies: a real estate and agriculture firm and a shipping firm. Matson is the shipping side of the business.
The firm owns 17 vessels, around 47,000 shipping containers, and major shipping terminals in Hawaii and the West Coast of the mainland. In addition to being the dominant shipper in Hawaii, a business that's critical for Hawaiian life, Matson has also spent the last few years building out a Chinese shipping business that's kept the firm's fleet busy. With crude costs falling right now, Matson should have the benefit of cutting costs for customer contracts while profiting from the lag between oil price drops and contract negotiations.The firm may be one of Pershing Square's smaller positions at $176.6 million, but it's also one of the few small-cap stocks on Ackman's buy list. The hedge fund manager picked up 82,930 shares in the most recent quarter, building his stake in Matson up to 8.71% of the company's total market cap.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV