Editor's Note: This is the seventh article in a monthly series focusing on business and leadership lessons from prominent figures in history, sports, politics and corporate America.
At just 37, nearly seven months pregnant and less than a month on the job, the pressure is on. Regardless of her age and sex, shareholders of the $19 billion dollar internet company expect her to revive its struggling business model -- and soon.
Mayer comes into a job that didn't end so well for predecessors. From Carol Bartz to the most recent Yahoo! CEO failure, Scott Thompson -- who had to resign after a frustrated hedge fund investor uncovered lies on his resume -- the Yahoo! CEO job has most recently been associated with failure, failure of a spectacular and very public nature.While Mayer clearly made a major contribution to Google's (GOOG) expansion and success as one of the search giant's initial engineers, questions persist about whether she has the experience to run a public company. Yet for the technology sector, by nature always looking to the future -- and for a company like Yahoo! which needs a new outlook -- Mayer's selection makes sense for at least one obvious reason. "She brings the youth movement to the table," says Adam Connors, managing partner of Spire Search Partners in Hoboken, N.J. "Leadership these days is trending younger and she is crossing a couple of borders between women, youth and technology, which is signifying the future." "That's a powerful statement to take somebody that young and put her in that position at such a critical point in the company's future," says Steven Raz, co-founder and managing partner of Cornerstone Search Group in Parisppany, N.J. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV