As suggested on previous calls, most of our development transactions will be in a co-investment format, in which we own from 50% to 55%. We believe that the co-investment format improves our risk reward scenario and also reduces our forward funding commitments. We've commenced construction on most of our development pipeline, reducing risks of entitlement and construction costs, increases in delays and compressing the time between our funding obligation and the delivery of the community.
We also moved up the opening of our Expo project to this October, approximately 6 months ahead of our original schedule, and reduced the estimated cost of construction by approximately $3 million. We now estimate that the stabilized cap rate on Expo will be in excess of 7%.
Second topic, the investment markets. Cap rates continue to be aggressive in the coastal markets, and we have not -- and have not changed materially since last quarter. Cap rates range from 4% to 4.5% for A quality property in A locations and from 4.5% to near 5% for B property in A locations. As with 2011, transaction activity abated at year-end and increases throughout the spring and summer months. Through July, we closed $248 million in acquisitions, including the partner buyout at Skyline as outlined on Page S-15 of the supplement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV