Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results
Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. (NASDAQ: PEET) today announced its second quarter results for the fiscal period ended July 1, 2012, which included 13 weeks.
In this release, the Company:
• Reports diluted earnings per share of $0.30
• Reports net revenue growth of 5%Consolidated Financial and Operating Summary For the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, net revenue increased 5% to $95.4 million from $90.6 million for the corresponding period of fiscal 2011. Diluted earnings per share was $0.30, compared to $0.38 for the corresponding period of fiscal 2011. Retail net revenue increased 4% to $55.4 million for the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, from $53.4 million for the corresponding period last year. The increase was driven by a higher average transaction and an $874,000 sales tax refund related to resolution of a sales tax computation interpretation with the taxing authorities. The Company did not open any stores in the quarter and ended the quarter with 197 stores. Specialty net revenue increased 7% to $40.0 million for the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, compared to $37.3 million for the corresponding period last year. Within specialty, grocery sales were up 5% compared to the corresponding period last year, foodservice and office sales grew 15%, and home delivery sales grew 3%. Grocery revenue growth was impacted by an increase in competitive pricing pressure during the period. Cost of sales and related occupancy expenses increased as a percent of total net revenue to 50.4% for the quarter, compared to 49.2% for the corresponding period last year. The increase was caused by higher green coffee costs, which were 16% higher per pound than the same quarter last year. This increase was partially offset by price increases across all channels and lower shipping expenses. Operating expenses were 31.2% of net revenue, compared to 31.1% for the corresponding period last year. A favorable mix shift towards the specialty business and lower legal fees were substantially offset by higher healthcare costs, payment card processing fees, and investments in overhead expenses.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts