Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results
Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Inc. (NASDAQ: PEET) today announced its second quarter results for the fiscal period ended July 1, 2012, which included 13 weeks.
In this release, the Company:
• Reports diluted earnings per share of $0.30
• Reports net revenue growth of 5%Consolidated Financial and Operating Summary For the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, net revenue increased 5% to $95.4 million from $90.6 million for the corresponding period of fiscal 2011. Diluted earnings per share was $0.30, compared to $0.38 for the corresponding period of fiscal 2011. Retail net revenue increased 4% to $55.4 million for the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, from $53.4 million for the corresponding period last year. The increase was driven by a higher average transaction and an $874,000 sales tax refund related to resolution of a sales tax computation interpretation with the taxing authorities. The Company did not open any stores in the quarter and ended the quarter with 197 stores. Specialty net revenue increased 7% to $40.0 million for the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012, compared to $37.3 million for the corresponding period last year. Within specialty, grocery sales were up 5% compared to the corresponding period last year, foodservice and office sales grew 15%, and home delivery sales grew 3%. Grocery revenue growth was impacted by an increase in competitive pricing pressure during the period. Cost of sales and related occupancy expenses increased as a percent of total net revenue to 50.4% for the quarter, compared to 49.2% for the corresponding period last year. The increase was caused by higher green coffee costs, which were 16% higher per pound than the same quarter last year. This increase was partially offset by price increases across all channels and lower shipping expenses. Operating expenses were 31.2% of net revenue, compared to 31.1% for the corresponding period last year. A favorable mix shift towards the specialty business and lower legal fees were substantially offset by higher healthcare costs, payment card processing fees, and investments in overhead expenses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV