- American International Group reports second-quarter after-tax operating income of $1.9 billion, or $1.06 a share, beating the consensus estimate of a 57-cent profit.
- Maiden Lane III loan from Federal Reserve Bank of New York paid in full.
- $1.3 billion positve fair value adjustment for Maiden Lane III.
- Insurance income grows 26% year-over-year, to $1.9 billion, after tax.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- American International Group (AIG) on Thursday reported second-quarter after-tax operating income of $1.9 billion, or $1.06 a share, beating the consensus estimate of a 57-cent profit, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
In comparison, after-tax operating income totaled $1.2 billion, or 68 cents a share, during the second quarter of 2011.
AIG CEO Robert Benmosche said that the "performance of our businesses and our stock price enabled the U.S. government to continue to profitably reduce its outstanding assistance to AIG, which includes the U.S. Department of the Treasury's $5.7 billion AIG equity offering in May 2012," and also said that "the Federal Reserve Bank of New York's Maiden Lane III loan was also paid in full during the quarter."AIG also announced that in July, "AIG's $5.0 billion equity interest in ML III was fully repaid along with contractual and additional distributions of $1.1 billion," and that "AIG will continue to receive 33 percent of proceeds generated by future sales of ML III assets." The company's second-quarter results were boosted by a $1.3 billion positive adjustment in the fair value of Maiden Lane III, which was partially offset by a negative adjustment in the fair value of the company's investment in Asian insurer AIA Group, of $493 million. AIG reported that after-tax operating income for its combined insurance operations was $1.9 billion during the second quarter, increasing from $1.5 billion a year earlier. The company's Chartis subsidiary's second-quarter pretax income was $961 million, improving from $826 million a year earlier, mainly because of a decline in claims. Sun America Financial Group's operating income increased 29% year-over-year, to $933 million. AIG's shares closed at $30.84 Thursday, returning 33% year-to-date. AIG data by YCharts
The shares trade for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $3.30. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $3.62. Interested in more on American International Group? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV